Monday, January 8, 2007

Two

A legitimate post, but only sort of.

I suppose a good way to start is by talking about my own interests in books.

My all-time favorite author is Chuck Palahniuk, although I will read almost anything handed to me. Last year after keeping a tally of books I read throughout the school year, it totaled to over 100. This year, however, is quite pathetic, seeing as I have been reading the same book since maybe the second month of school. It's not boring at all, mind you, Jeffrey Eugenides is brilliant, and I loved The Virgin Suicides, and Middlesex is great, but of course I have an excuse. I find myself not having enough time to do what I want this year, but that doesn't stop me from being able to read some trashy teen novel like Gossip Girl in less than a day.
After awhile, I find myself just being able to absorb books. I love the fact that I love reading, yet hate the fact that oftentimes I find myself going on facebook or myspace in favor of picking up a novel I have been reading for four months.

But more about what I like...
Some of my recent favorites, in no particular order, include;
Me Talk Pretty One Day
The Kite Runner
The Things They Carried
Friday Night Lights
Prep

Ignore the fact that I fail to list authors or anything of relevance next to the titles, but I suppose that those are some of the books I will begin reviewing first.

Until then,
Steff

4 comments:

The Ice Rasta said...

Aw, Steff. Your blog isn't emo. I don't have enough time to do what I want, either. I hardly even have time to rock out. But, of course, I do anyway, for at least 6 hours a day.

I liked The Things They Carried as well. Kite Runner, to me, started slow, and so I abandoned ship. I think you'll enjoy Magical Thinking, it's typical Augusten Burroughs, which I also love. I have the sequel to that one, too, which I'll read after Mankind's book and if you want I'll lend you that too. I also recommend "Have A Nice Day" by Mick Foley because Mick Foley rules and so does his book.

I love you.
Frank

cmckeown said...

Me Talk Pretty One Day might have been the funniest book i've ever read. The best part where his sister is getting off of the subway and yells to him "Bye David..good luck beating that rape charge!"..and then everyone just slowly backs away from him.

erin said...

This is a sweet blog. i love reading too and i can never find the time to read either! it sucks when you cant do what you want. i tried reading Prep but i got to page about 100 and to me it was still very slow moving.. but you say its so good maybe i will try again. love you :D

mikecappyisgnar said...

Considering I am apparently a computer virus, i used logic to determine that you were the "s-t-e- double f" that left that wonderful comment on my thing. i thank you for your kind words. Chuck Palahniuk (forgive me if i spelled it wrong)is an excellent writer and if you look into his past you'll learn scary things.